If you suspect that an animal is suffering from abuse or neglect in Delaware or Chester Counties, email our Humane Investigators, or call us at 610-566-4575 x214 to report the situation.
Our Humane Society Police Officers investigate acts of cruelty within Delaware and Chester Counties, Pennsylvania. When reporting an act of cruelty, please be sure to leave the address of violation, including the town, and as much detail as possible about the nature of complaint. While your name and contact information will not be disclosed, both are needed to obtain clarification or additional information.
Their authority is granted by the State of Pennsylvania and uphold the state’s animal cruelty laws, contained in Animal Cruelty Statute, 18 Pa. C.S., nicknamed “Libre’s Law”
Neglect of animal
- Failure to provide any of the following:
- Food and water
- Clean and sanitary shelter and protection from the weather
- Necessary veterinary care
Cruelty to animal
A person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly ill treats, overloads, beats, abandons, or abuses an animal.
Aggravated cruelty to animal
A person intentionally or knowingly:
- Tortures an animal
- Violates neglect or cruelty statute and causes serious bodily injury or death
Tethering of unattended dog
An unattended dog may be tethered for less than 9 hours within a 24-hour period if the following conditions are met:
- The tether is a type commonly used for the dog’s size and breed and is at least 3 times the length of the dog as measured from the tip of its nose to the base of its tail or 10 feet, whichever is longer
- The tether is secured to a well-fitted collar or harness by means of a swivel anchor, swivel latch, or other mechanism designed to prevent the dog from becoming entangled
- The dog has access to water and an area of shade to escape the direct rays of the sun
- The dog has not been tethered for more than 30 minutes in temperatures above 90 or below 32 degrees Fahrenheit
Animal mutilation and related offenses
Report an Incident
Most of our rescue success stories started with tips from people just like you; we’re all in this together. You may save a life!